Тест RAID контроллеров под линукс (Статья)

Конфигурирование, планирование RAID систем, возможности, технологии, теория. Qlogic, LSI Logic, Adaptec ...

Модераторы: Trinity admin`s, Free-lance moderator`s

Ответить
apelsin
Advanced member

Сообщение apelsin » 23 май 2005, 09:56

Сразу оговорюсь что статья на Норвежском языке (кто-нибудь знает?)
Сравниваются контроллеры:
  • SiI 3114
    LSI MegaRAID SATA 150-4
    LSI MegaRAID SCSI 320-1
    Adaptec SCSI RAID 2130SLP
    Adaptec Serial ATA RAID 2410SA
Тем не мение, статья определенно представляет интерес, так картинки говорят сами за себя. Графики помечены "Storre er bedre" (чем больше тем лучше) или "Mindre er bedre" (чем меньше тем лучше)

http://www.hwb.no/utskrift/15307

ниже перевод последней части ("Выводы") на анлийский [сдернуто со slashdot.com ]

I have wanted to test some real SATA controllers against SCSI controllers for some time now, to see how good SATA has become. I once thought that cheap controllers like Sil 3114 is cheap crap that manufacturers put on their boards simply to provide SATA-support, and that software RAID was a cheap, but insufficient solution, since I have followed the principle that hardware does the job best. "A more expensive controller, means more hardware", was my initial guess, but it seems that even the cheap controllers are worthy. Software RAID also performs very well. SATA is no longer some gag for disk systems that are supposed to perform well, and many myths have been dispelled by my test.

I will not go as far as to say that you shall place your bet on cheap controllers or software RAID. The reason is simple, in a expensive controller, there is much more functionality, that a cheap controller can just dream about. Functionality like hot-spare drives and hot-swap, just to mention some. I do not want to recommend SATA over SCSI in a while either. The lifespan of a SCSI drive is in most casese many times as long as a vanilla SATA-disk. When you choose a solution, it should last. If you have machines that has a big fat controller, RAID50, then SATA might be something for you. If you have a machine that needs redundancy on the internal drives, but where changing controllers, or even buying them in the first place has been in the way, then software RAID might be the solution for you.

I shall be careful to mock the LSI controller, as I think there might be a problem with the way the test machine talks to it. I think the new Megaraid driver in the kernel might be the problem. Either it needs to mature, or it is simply that it does not like 64-bit Linux. I have not tampered too much with the default settings, but it runs superparanoid verification algorithms when it sends and recieves data. I have not fleshed the BIOS on any of the controllers.

Adaptecs controllers do very well. Everything was not perfect with them, and the aacraid driver in the kernel was too old for both of the controllers. From their website, I found something that looked like source code (Adaptec seems to rely on 100% RPM based distros), and I could bouild my own module. After that, no problem. A little minus is that the aacraid does not report how long the controller has gotten in building the array after you have set up a RAID. By looking at the SCSI-BIOS after some hours, I got to verify that the array was built.

I want to warn everyone that is going to buy a controller. Carefully check that the controller is supported in the kernel! I use Google to check for references to the card on mailing lists, but that does not help much when you have Debian, and all that exist is binary RedHat drivers.

Now, run to your console and test your disk system. This test does only give you indications on what to choose. I allow myself to give you one final advice: Run tests for yourself.

Вернуться в «Массивы - RAID технологии.»